Tuesday, March 10, 2009

the influencers


In the agency world, much attention and energy is given to reaching the “influencers.”

I’ve been thinking a lot about influencers lately.

But not about those cool kids we marketers long to excite so they’ll influence their sycophantic pals.

Rather, I’ve been thinking about those people who have had an influence in my life.

Of course there have been many. Those friends and family members who have introduced me to different aspects of music, film, books, faith, work . . . the list goes on.

I can easily (and enjoyably) think of ten people who have influenced my musical tastes.

Mom, what with her Kris Kristofferson and Neil Diamond LPs rocking from the refrigerator-on-its-side sized stereo console nestled deep in our home’s shag carpet.

Phil P, my artistic and gifted friend who introduced me to FM rock in 8th grade. Phil was advanced in matters of music, his tastes running toward jazz and album rock. And while I never warmed to the fusion stylings he favored -- Chick Corea and Return to Forever -- I was astonished when he played for me side one of A Day at the Races. The harmonies and big, bombastic sounds of Queen was nothing short of a revelation. Epic. I also credit Phil for turning me on to Bowie, Heart, Steely Dan, Black Sabbath, Springsteen, and others.

Cousin Phil, who, during a 1970s Thanksgiving family gathering, set me up in his parents’ room with a pair of oversized Koss headphones and dropped the needle on some CSN&Y and Zeppelin. That was big. As a prog rock guy, Phil also introduced me to the genius of Pink Floyd and, much later, to Radiohead’s stunning OK Computer.

Kirk Mc, my cool, older church friend with a hot rod whose speakers would be subjected to repeated plays of Bad Motor Scooter by Montrose and Train Kept A Rollin’ at, shall we say, exaggerated volume. And it was while riding in his back seat, in magnficent proximity to these speakers, that I enjoyed this first taste of "hard rock" and Aerosmith. Incredible. Later, Kirk (and his car) took me to my first rock concert: Aerosmith and AC/DC at the Long Beach Arena.

Kirk H, a baseball teammate of mine. With Prop 13 cutbacks, a few of us would pile into Kirk’s VW squareback instead of a school bus for away games. En route, Kirk blared Sex Pistols and the Ramones. This introduction to punk was glorious and defining.

Catherine, my co-worker at Brentano’s bookstore who introduced me to the sweeping atmospheric sounds of groups like Roxy Music, Cocteau Twins, and Ultravox.

Joel P who, in college, generously swapped albums with me so I could record various mixes on my beloved TDK-SA90s. Joel also turned me on to the curiosity and beauty of artists like Laurie Anderson and Bill Nelson.

Davey G, Max, Adam . . . fellow agency creatives who have over the years pointed me to some of my favorite bands: Asobi Seksu, M83, Pernice Brothers, Stellastarr, My Vitriol, Feeder . . .

Thanks for indulging me in this exercise, a consequence of reconnecting with old friends through Facebook – and revisiting the roles each have played in my life.

A few things strike me here.

1. How telling it is to connect the dots and track the development and shape of personal taste.
2. How easy it is to recall place. Decades later, I can vividly recall the back seats of the Kirks’ cars.
3. How I can still remember and feel the emotion of those wonderful Eureka! moments.
4. How grateful I am for these influences.

So . . . who has influenced you?

2 comments:

ELO said...

The most influential person in my formative years (when it came to music / concerts) was Jefferson Tarter Spurlock aka Jeff or Tart. He introduced me to all kinds of music....from Lynyrd Skynyrd to Jethro Tull. He took me to concerts .....front row of ELP and Keith Emerson's moog. I remember hearing ZZ Top for the first time in his gold chevy impala (Jesus just left Chicago...and he's bound for New Orleans). We would listen to albums, cover-to-cover. Thanks for the music.

Unknown said...

I had no fundamental interest in music until after college, as most of stuff I heard on the radio never seemed really appealing. Sounded ok? yes. Inspiring? No. Then, along came Rushmore (the Wes Anderson movie with Bill Murray and that Schwartzman kid). I'd heard "Ooh la la" with the chorus of "I wish that I knew what I know now when I was younger..." many times before - thank you KVIL. Upon learning Rod Stewart(!?!?) sang it during his bluesy, boozy period with The Faces did I get really interested in British Invasion and America's response. Now, I'm content to discover new music of all styles and listen for their influences. Very inspiring. Thanks, Rod.