Monday, March 23, 2009

The best eight bucks I’ve spent this year



Last night restored my faith in and passion for live music.

Trekked up to Denton for a triple bill at the remote Rubber Gloves Rehearsal Studios in the industrial cement sector of Denton. My friend Max and I pulled his car into the parking space in front of the door, paid $8 at the door and were admitted.

No Ticketmaster. No $10 service charge. No “convenience charge” to print out my “Express Ticket” on my computer with my ink. No $15 parking fee. No parking hassles. No hassles whatsoever.

Along with about 40 others in the tiny room, we enjoyed three indie bands, all a bit ragged from their performances during the previous days at SXSW. Loved the Antlers, enjoyed the frenetic Tyvek, and got lost in the sonic swirl of the explosive and loud Asobi Seksu. The band finished with the epic Red Sea at about 1.30 a.m. Glorious.

Made me feel alive and totally engaged – and left me wondering why I don’t do that more often.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i'm guessing max had the top down on his cruiser...