Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Music & Memory





I was struck yesterday morning and again today while driving to work how powerful music is in its ability to transport you to another place and time. Yesterday morning on XM I heard "Tuesday's Gone" by Lynyrd Skynyrd. Only three chords in, I was instantly transported back to my bedroom circa 1976. Sitting on the red shag, carefully placing a penny on the tonearm, examining the liner notes and squeezing every watt out of that Pioneer SX-750 with the big-as-a-Volkswagen Marantz speakers (and trying to ignore the world outside my door).



Eric was undoubtedly either out on a date or working (anything to just be OUT somewhere). I remember the smell of Minute Steak wafting up form the kitchen below. I remember my Dad arriving home in the jalopy du jour, tie tucked safely into his shirt (per DuPont guidelines) and awkward silences throughout dinner as we struggled to maintain our happy family persona.

Music did then and still does today provide me an escape from the world outside my door. I'm thankful for it, and thankful for a brother who laid a solid foundation upon which to build - Led Zeppelin, Jethro Tull, Allman Brothers, Beatles, and many more.

No comments: