Wednesday, August 22, 2007

The Triumphant Return of Ventriloquism?


News item:
Area man wins national talent show.

I don't know anything about this show. Don't know anything about Mr. Fator, the winner. Seems like a nice enough guy.

But I was struck by his quote.

"To know that I could be the person who brings ventriloquism back into the mainstream would give me so much joy."

Guess a mime might say the same thing.

I gotta tell you, the prospect of pantomime or ventriloquism in the mainstream doesn't exactly warm my heart.

That's not to say ventriloquism wouldn't be a blast at parties, traffic court, and the dentist.

In fact, I may someday take a correspondence course in ventriloquism. Maybe after the kids move out. Yeah, that's it. In the twilight of my life, I'll shuffle out to our garage workshop, carve me a dummy, and work on throwing my voice while drinking a glass of water.

For me, the best thing about ventriloquism is saying the word. Ventriloquism. It's a funny word, a dynamite punchline.

Not exactly a compelling reason to go prime time. It'd be OK with me to contain those creepy looking puppets to the realms of themed birthday parties, late-nite reruns of The Gong Show, and tourist-choked San Francisco street corners.

No comments: