Friday, June 15, 2007

"A Radiant Soul"


While jogging down Grand Avenue in Milwaukee last night, I ran past a historic, beautiful old church. Formerly the Grand Avenue Congregational Church, the building today serves as The Irish Cultural and Heritage Center.

Which would explain the music and hearty applause coming from its halls Thursday. Curious, I dropped in to discover what turned out to be an annual bagpipe and drums festival.

While I stood in the musty, narrow foyer listening to the spirited music, my wandering eyes met a large plaque on the wall. It was a memorial to someone. His name wasn't familiar to me. Looked like he was a minister deeply involved in the establishment and growth of this church decades ago.

As I perfunctorily read the plaque, I was struck by this description of the man:

“He was an inspiring, radiant soul.”

With these few words, I longed to know him.

Even as I walked away from the festival, that profound, poetic description lingered in my mind, overshadowing any onstage performance I'd witnessed.

I wondered what this man did to exhibit a radiant soul. Who did he inspire? How did he and his “radiant soul” impact the people who knew him? I thought of those who were fortunate enough to have been in the presence of his “radiant soul” – and how richer they must have been for it.

What a tremendous legacy to leave.

It’s a legacy that now extends to a middle-aged business traveler/erratic jogger from Dallas. And it will soon reach my children, who will hear of a remarkable, joy-filled way to live and be regarded.

May we all be remembered in such a way.

No comments: