Thursday, March 29, 2007

A Welcome Breath of Fresh Air

Exhausted after a long day of work and allergies, while driving home through a torrential rainstorm tonight, I was refreshed and encouraged by an interview I heard on NPR.

Terry Gross -- on her "Fresh Air" show -- was talking with Dr. Francis Collins. I didn't know much about Dr. Collins. Knew he headed up the Human Genome Project. But I had no sense of his faith.

Can I tell you how pleasantly surprised I was to hear him speak about the wonder, the awe, the God he finds in DNA. In the 3.1 billion pieces of code found in every human cell. Frankly, it did my weary faith good.

In a time that finds atheistic scientists like Dr. Richard Dawkins basking in a generous media platform, spouting about the irrationality of God, it was wonderful to hear Dr. Collins speak and enthusiastically reconcile science and faith -- and how the two coexist peacefully in his scientific pursuits. Fresh air, indeed.

Listen to the interview here.

And recall the words of the psalmist from Psalm 139:
"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

People should read this.